Today in North Dakota History

June 27, 1910

Proposal to repeal state prohibition rejected by voters.

June 28, 1916

Nonpartisan League endorsees won overwhelmingly in the first Republican primary in which the League endorsed candidates.

July 1, 1890

The prohibition section of the North Dakota Constitution became effective.

July 1, 1963

Command of Grand Forks Air Force Base was transferred from the Air Defense Command to the Strategic Air Command.

July 1, 1939

The new North Dakota Board of Higher Education replaced the State Board of Administration as the control body for state institutions of higher learning.

July 1, 1919

Thomas S. Kleppe, congressman from North Dakota since 1967, was born at Kintyre.

July 1, 1955

The Camp Hancock Museum at Bismarck opened. Originally a military post, for years the building housed the U. S. Weather Bureau. The original structure, which dates from 1872, was turned over to the State Historical Society in 1951.

July 1, 1895

The North Dakota Geological Survey was established.

July 1, 1907

A Public Health Laboratory was opened at the University of North Dakota.

July 1, 1954

The graduate school at North Dakota State University became formalized, and Dr. Glenn Smith was named its dean.

July 1, 1895

Establishment of North Dakota Geological Survey.

July 1, 1955

Garrison Diversion Conservancy District organized to plan for irrigation of 250,000 acres, initially in 25 counties.

July 1, 1934

Street car service, operated at Grand Forks since 1905, was abandoned.

July 1, 1941

New oil law concerning regulation on production of oil and gas in North Dakota became effective. It was repealed and replaced by a new law, which took effect July 1, 1953.

July 1, 1965

The former Wesley College at Grand Forks became the Wesley Center of Religion, with the University of North Dakota purchasing its dormitories.

July 1, 1933

John C. West began his duties as the new president of the University of North Dakota.

July 1, 1933

Sale of 3.2 beer was legalized in North Dakota.

July 1, 1899

A law permitting divorces to be granted after 90-day residence within the state expired. North Dakota had become a national divorce mecca under the law.

July 1, 1966

The Fort Totten Indian Reservation was raised from sub-agency to agency status, with James B. Cornett taking over as agency superintendent.

July 1, 1917

Importation of liquor into North Dakota became illegal, even for personal use, under the so-called "Bone Dry Law."

July 1, 1969

Forty years after he became publisher of the Grand Forks Herald, M.M. Oppegard stepped down as publisher and editor of the newspaper. Ralph Roth became publisher, and Jack Hagerty executive editor.

July 1, 1940

The Rural Electrification Administration announced a $60,000 loan to Minnkota Power Cooperative to build a generating plant at Grand Forks.

July 1, 1935

A tornado caused four deaths in McKenzie and Mountrail Counties.

July 1, 1929

Ridder Publications and the late M.M. Oppegard became the owners of The Grand Forks Herald after purchasing it from J.F. Bacon and associates.

July 1, 1890

The prohibition section of the North Dakota Constitution became effective.

July 1, 1919

The fourth Rotary Club in North Dakota was chartered at Williston.

July 1, 1962

Minot Air Force Base was transferred from control of the Air Defense Command to that of the Strategic Air Command.

July 2, 1875

George H. Walsh published the first edition of the Grand Forks Plaindealer, the first newspaper of the village.

July 1, 1892

A special three-day session of the North Dakota Legislature convened to provide for election of presidential electors for 1892, so North Dakotans could have a voice in the selection of the President.

July 1, 1916

The First North Dakota Infantry was mustered into federal service at Camp Lincoln at Bismarck.

July 1, 1940

The Rural Electrification Administration announced an $860,000 loan to Minnkota Power Cooperative to build a generating plant at Grand Forks.

July 2, 1883

Dakota Territory capital moved from Yankton to Bismarck.

July 2, 1859

Samuel J. Albright established the Dakota Democrat at Sioux Falls City, first newspaper published within the limits of Dakota Territory.

July 2, 1874

General George Custer and an expedition of 1,000 men left Fort Abraham Lincoln, near present-day Mandan, on an expedition that confirmed the discovery of gold in the Black Hills.

July 2, 1863

General Sibley's expedition entered North Dakota at the Cayuga site to campaign against the Indians.

July 2, 1864

President Lincoln approved an act of Congress creating the Northern Pacific Railway.

July 2, 1955

A tornado caused two deaths and $180,000 damage at Walcott.

July 2, 1868

The largest Indian peace parley held in North Dakota convened at Fort Rice. There were said to have been 50,000 Indians on hand. Peace commissioners included Generals William S. Harvey, Alfred H. Terry and John B. Sanborn.

July 3, 1805

Sioux massacred rival Indians on the Tongue River, in what now is North Dakota, killing or taking 14 men, women and children prisoner.

July 3, 1871

The first Grand Forks area voting precinct was established at John Stewart's stage station, located on the banks of the Red River at what now is Grand Forks. The precinct stretched from the Turtle River on the north to the Goose River on the south.

July 3, 1947

Nine people were killed by a tornado in Walsh County.

July 3, 1839

Lieutenant John C. Fremont, "the great pathfinder," and Lieutenant Jean N. Nicollet began exploring east-central North Dakota.

July 3, 1907

Natural gas was discovered on the Parker farm, 9.5 miles south of Westhope, while drilling for water.

July 4, 1962

A state historical museum was dedicated in North Dakota's oldest community, Pembina.

July 3, 1836

The territory of Wisconsin was created, including the part of North Dakota east of the Missouri River.

July 3, 1864

The site was selected and construction started on Fort Rice, south of Mandan on the west bank of the Missouri, by General Alfred H. Sully.

July 4, 1889

The North Dakota Constitutional Convention opened in Bismarck.

July 4, 1871

The Fargo townsite was established, although not given that name until the following year.

July 4, 1883

The first train arrived at the site of Devils Lake and was met by the steamboat Minnie H.

July 4, 1886

Theodore Roosevelt was the principal speaker for Dickinson's first Independence Day celebration.